IRAM SCRIPTURE, my third great grand uncle, was born in Oneida County, New York on 23 Jan 1807 (1), the son of Hiram Scripture and Elizabeth Parker. He married Margaret Parker in Barre, Orleans, New York on 28 Apr 1835.(2) There is a Certificate from the U.S. General Land Office Records, dated October 1835, showing that Hiram Scripture, Jr., of Oneida County, New York deposited money for land in Monroe, Michigan Territory. (3)
In the 1840 U.S. Census, Hiram was living in York, Washtenaw, Michigan. (4) In the 1850 U.S. Census, Hiram is shown with his wife, Margaret, and children Maria, Langdon and Mary, as well as his mother-in-law, Sophia Speer. His occupation is farmer.(5)
Hiram died on 27 Jul 1851 at the age of 44 and is buried in York Cemetery in Milan, Michigan. (6) His son, Langdon Scripture, would fight in the Civil War for the 20th Michigan Infantry.(7)
Dover Publications, Inc., Mineola, New York, Electronic Clip Art, Victorian Decorative Letters, 1999.
Dover Publications, Inc., Mineola, New York, Electronic Clip Art, Elegant Floral Designs, 2003.
(1) Frank C. Scripter, Samuel Scripture Descendants: Scripture-Scipter Families, (Michigan: Scripter, 2005), No. 113.
(2) “Marriages and Deaths, 1827-1837” compiled in 1972 by Charles Gordon Pond, Jr. from marriage and death notices in bound volumes of newspapers on file at the Oneida Historical Society, Utica, New York, entry for Scripture-Parker, handwritten page 111, names beginning with “S,” FHC Film 1435189, Item no. 1, Death & Marriage Notices from Utica, N.Y. Newspapers (https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/625232).
(3) Ancestry.com. U.S. General Land Office Records, 1796-1907 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2008. Original data: United States. Bureau of Land Management, General Land Office Records. Automated Records Project; Federal Land Patents, State Volumes. http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/. Springfield, Virginia: Bureau of Land Management, Eastern States, 2007.
(4) Year: 1840; Census Place: York, Washtenaw, Michigan; Roll: 211; Page: 132; Image: 858; Family History Library Film: 0014797. Ancestry.com. 1840 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010.
(5) Year: 1850; Census Place: York, Washtenaw, Michigan; Roll: M432_364; Page: 465A; Image: 575. Ancestry.com. 1850 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009.
(6) Find A Grave, Inc. Find A Grave, digital image (http://www.findagrave.com: accessed September 7, 2013), Hiram Scripture, York Cemetery, Washtenaw County, Michigan, Memorial No. 71379605, created by Leta Knauss.
(7) Entry for Langdon W. Scripture, Widow: Louisa E. Scripture, National Archives and Records Administration. U.S., Civil War Pension Index: General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2000. Original data: General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration. T288, 546 rolls.